Resolution: S-21-21: OPENING A BRIDGE BETWEEN PRIMARY CARE PHYSICIANS AND DIETARY PROFESSIONALS

Forums Spring 2021 Resolution Forum Resolution: S-21-21: OPENING A BRIDGE BETWEEN PRIMARY CARE PHYSICIANS AND DIETARY PROFESSIONALS

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Valerie Lile
      Keymaster

WHEREAS, Over 40% of adults in America are obese1; and

WHEREAS, There is limited standardized coordination between primary care physicians (PCP) and Dietary Professionals for the general population2; and

WHEREAS, Visits to consult with Dietary Professionals are not widely covered by insurance plans; and

WHEREAS, Seeking preventive medical guidance from Dietary Professionals is currently financially and logistically infeasible for the American public8; and

WHEREAS, Covering visits to Dietary Professionals is disincentivized by insurance companies; now, and

WHEREAS, An interdisciplinary approach involving Dietary Professionals can potentially reduce physician burnout and improve patient outcomes7; and

WHEREAS, Integrating care with Dietary Professionals has a proven benefit to overall health outcomes6.

RESOLVED, that the AOA recognizes that increased partnerships between primary care physicians and dietary professionals strengthens preventative care thereby improving patient outcomes3; and

RESOLVED, that the AOA recognizes the potential for telemedicine to enhance nutritional wellbeing for patients by strengthening the standard of care delivered by Dietary Professionals.

Explanatory Statement

Please note that “dietary professionals” includes registered dieticians and nutritionists.

References

1. (2020, June 29). Adult Obesity Facts. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html
      1. Crustolo, A. M., Ackerman, S., Kates, N., & Schamehorn, S. (2005). Integrating nutrition services into primary care: Experience in Hamilton, Ont. Canadian family physician, 51(12), 1647-1653.
      1. Early, K. B., & Stanley, K. (2018). Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: The Role of Medical Nutrition Therapy and Registered Dietitian Nutritionists in the Prevention and Treatment of Prediabetes and Type 2 Diabetes. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 118(2), 343-353. doi:10.1016/j.jand.2017.11.021
      1. Rosenthal, R. J., Morton, J., Brethauer, S., Mattar, S., De Maria, E., Benz, J. K., Titus, J. & Sterrett, D. (2017). Obesity in America. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases, 13(10), 1643-1650.
      1. Rozga, M., Handu, D., Kelley, K., Jimenez, E. Y., Martin, H., Schofield, M., & Steiber, A. (2021). Telehealth During the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Cross-Sectional Survey of Registered Dietitian Nutritionists. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. doi:10.1016/j.jand.2021.01.009
      1. Russell, M. (2019, February 01). Registered Dietitian Nutritionists Should Be Included in Patient Health Care Teams. Retrieved from https://www.aafp.org/afp/2019/0201/p142.html
      1. Slawson, D. L., Fitzgerald, N., & Morgan, K. T. (2013). Position of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: The Role of Nutrition in Health Promotion and Chronic Disease Prevention. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 113(7), 972-979. doi:10.1016/j.jand.2013.05.005
      1. World Health Organization. (2020, April 1). Fact sheets – Malnutrition. Retrieved from https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/malnutrition

Submitted by:

Arpun Shah, OMS I – Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
      Jaime Dougherty, OMS I – Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
      Sohil Khanna, OMS I – Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
      Veronica Saleeb, OMS I – Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
      Revati Gummaluri, OMS I – Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
      Daphne Campbell, OMS I – Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine

Action Taken:

Date:

Effective Time Period: Ongoing

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • The forum ‘Spring 2021 Resolution Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.