The Student Osteopathic Medical Association (SOMA) understands community outreach is a vital component in reaching the goals of the national leadership team and individual chapters at each College of Osteopathic Medicine (COM). Outreach speaks to the core of why we chose medicine and even more, why we chose osteopathic medicine. National Community Outreach supports SOMA’s goals to have a voice in healthcare advocacy, reinforce the osteopathic principles and practices, increase national visibility, and supporting the education and experiences of osteopathic physicians-in-training. Our goal specific for this year, is to create collaborations and unity across all osteopathic medical schools, amongst national leadership, and other student professional organizations.
Community Outreach Strategy and Responsibilities:
- Annual Community Service events at national SOMA conventions
- Monthly/Quarterly Awareness for local SOMA Chapters to execute outreach events in their local areas
- Annual SOMA/SNMA collaboration in support of our new partnership with SNMA. Goal: to help create opportunities for medical students to work in an atmosphere that encourages diversity and inclusion.
- Work with National Health Disparities in programming Diversity in Medicine Coalition
- Virtual 5K
We collaborated with other student medical organizations to help raise money for the CDC Foundation to help COMBAT the public health threat posed by COVID-19.
- Total amount raised by SOMA: $410.00
- Total overall raised by all participating organizations: $1,986.00
If you would still like to donate, visit our team page at give4cdcf.org/soma
- Virtual Blood Drive
SOMA and SOMAF partnered with American Red Cross and other blood centers to help patients with and without COVID-19 related issues. Our Goal is for 100 people to pledge to give blood and be a hero! For more details click here.
3. Letters Against Isolation (SLM 2020)
During our Summer Leadership Committee 2020, we are hosting a Letters Against Isolation campaign. We are making handwritten letters and sending them to seniors in assisted living facilities and care homes.
- When: Saturday, July 25th 3:30 – 4:00pm & Sunday July 26th 12:30 – 1:00 pm (Chapter Leaders ONLY)
- Supplies needed: a stamp, paper/pen, envelope, and any decorative material
- Space is LIMITED! Please sign up by Wednesday, July 22nd, by clicking here
4. Black Lives Matter (BLM) movement
In consideration of the climate in our country, SOMA is working to create educational material and safe platforms to improve diversity in the medical community. Check out our Instagram and Facebook @NationalSOMA to learn about our educational mini-series on Racism and Public Health and our stories series, Through My Eyes.
5. Run for Gus
Our Annual 5K has gone virtual!! Run for Gus is an opportunity to join the race to beat brain tumors! By showing your support, you are helping find new treatments and improve care. Go to our Team SOMA page to register! Family/friends can donate as well.
Future Community Outreach Events:
- NEW Annual SOMA/SNMA partnership
- Community Outreach @ OMED 2020
- Community Outreach @ Spring Convention 2021
- NEW Quarterly 2020-2021 Service Initiatives for local SOMA Chapters