SOMA is the student affiliate of the American Osteopathic Association (AOA), and the only student organization with a seat in the AOA House of Delegates. We represent the voice of over 14,500 osteopathic medical students at 45 chapters in healthcare and public policy and are proud to be the home for passion, progress, and professional development of the future leaders of the medical profession. SOMA serves as the foremost national organization for osteopathic medical students to develop as professionals, leaders, and advocates. We facilitate this growth through year-round programming, biannual conferences, local and national leadership opportunities, and real-time advocacy responses to issues affecting medical students and the house of medicine as a whole.
I invite you to utilize our website to learn more about our organization and the wide array of exclusive SOMA benefits and unique opportunities available to members including:
- Leadership and Educational Resources — In the “Resources” tab above, you can find information regarding Health Disparities, Osteopathic Principles & Practice, Political Affairs, Professional Development, Resolutions, and more!
- Conferences — SOMA hosts two conferences annually open to all members. SOMA conferences offer forums on advocacy, professional development and networking, and are great opportunities to meet osteopathic medical students from around the country!
- Fall Convention: coincides with OMED in Philadelphia from October 6-8, 2017
- Spring Convention: coincides with DO Day on the Hill in Washington, DC (date TBD)
- Discounts — SOMA members enjoy exclusive discounts include test prep, dental and vision insurance, loan service counseling, and more! Additionally, these exclusive benefits are available year round meaning members no longer need to feel pressured to purchase their test prep materials during the short term sales months before they are even ready to start thinking about their next NBOME exam. Learn more under the “Membership/Benefits” tab above.
- Pre-SOMA — Are you an undergraduate or post-baccalaureate pre-medical student? Pre-SOMA is an organization for students just like you to learn more about osteopathic medicine, attend conferences, and access valuable resources pertaining to the application process, and more!
- Deadlines — Looking for a quick reference to ensure you aren’t missing an important deadline for SOMA scholarships, research opportunities, registration for conferences, and more? Then bookmark our new Deadlines page and check in frequently so you know exactly what is coming down the rails and stay on top of all the benefits available to you as a SOMA member.
- SOMA Spotlight — SOMA is excited to launch our new Spotlight page where we will regularly recognize members or chapters that make an impact within their communities, promote SOMA’s initiatives, or are in other ways outstanding. We are always looking for content so share your experiences with your Chapter Leaders or Region Trustee, and you could be featured in our next post!
- Social Media — In addition to sharing up to date information here on our website, SOMA distributes high value membership benefits, news, and other updates on our social media so be sure to connect with us on each platform to ensure you are always in the know.
SOMA members are part of an incredible group of students who strive to enrich their educational experience through healthcare advocacy, mentorship, camaraderie and much more. We hope you will join us on this mission and look forward to working with you.
If you have any questions about SOMA or how to get involved, click on “Contact Us” above!
Katie Cassella, OMS IV
SOMA National President