• Open
  • sdadmin
    Keymaster
    September 20, 2018 at 4:35 pm #1485
    1. WHEREAS, it is the Student Osteopathic Medical Association’s (SOMA’s) mission to “maintain open
    2. and transparent lines of communication to our student members as we continually adapt to the evolving
    3. needs of our members and organization”1; and
    1. WHEREAS, the goal of creating a regional conference would allow the Student Osteopathic Medical
    2. Association (SOMA) to reinforce its following points from its strategic plan2:
    3. ● “Establish a platform for every SOMA member to express their views to the organization.”
    4. ● “Generate professional and career development resources for osteopathic medical students
    5. through every stage of their education.”
    6. ● “Improve the National and Local transfer of leadership for improved continuity from year to
    7. year.”
    8. ● “Enhance the visibility of National and Local SOMA priorities and initiatives at every COM.”
    1. WHEREAS, creation of a regional conference would make it more accessible for local Student
    2. Osteopathic Medical Association (SOMA) members to attend a conference and create opportunities for
    3. mentorship, education, and research; now, therefore, be it
    1. RESOLVED, that the Student Osteopathic Medical Association (SOMA) supports the creation of an
    2. annual regional conference for each of the five Student Osteopathic Medical Association (SOMA)
    3. regions that would be held during winter for 1-2 days and could be attended by any Student Osteopathic
    4. Medical Association (SOMA) member in that region; and, be it further
    1. RESOLVED, that this conference be mandatory for region trustees, chapter leaders, and chapter
    2. executive board members in order to promote participation from local Student Osteopathic Medical
    3. Association (SOMA) members at each COM.

Explanatory Statement
    There is already a conference in Fall, Spring, and Summer, so Winter would be a good time to hold the regional conference without affecting the conferences that already exist. The Region Trustee and Chapter Leaders for each region, along with support from National SOMA leadership, will work together to organize the regional conference. There can be a registration fee to help cover costs for the conference.

References

1. SOMA Mission Statement
    2. SOMA Strategic Plan 2018-2021

Submitted by:
    Shikha Patel, OMS II – Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
    Marian Abdelmalek, OMS II – Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine
    Mohammed Kazim, OMS II – New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine
    Ancy Alexander, OMS II – New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine

Action Taken:

Date:

Effective Time Period: Ongoing

1. Tyler King
    NYITCOM Arkansas

I really appreciate the intent of this resolution. There is a huge gap between OMED and DO Day (5-6 months depending on the year), and it is easy to lose touch with your region during this time. I am hesitant however of making this mandatory for all regions, RTs and CLs. I believe this is something that could be highly encouraged, however. And I think RTs and CLs on a case by case basis could decide how to go about doing their individual conference. Funding would be a serious issue to consider here, especially for travel as some regions are very large and COMs are spread out. Below are my recommended changes to the resolved statements:

“RESOLVED, that the Student Osteopathic Medical Association (SOMA) supports the creation of annual regional conferences for each of the five SOMA regions during the winter months that could be attended by any Student Osteopathic Medical Association (SOMA) member in that given region; and, be it further
    RESOLVED, that attendance at these annual regional conferences be highly encouraged for region trustees, chapter leaders, chapter executive board members, and general members in order to promote participation and increase morale within each Student Osteopathic Medical Association (SOMA) region and amongst the general SOMA member population at each COM.

2. John Rajala
    BCOM

I’d just like to second Mr. King’s comments. The intentions behind this are great, however there are some serious cost logistics that go into planning these kinds of conferences, and this may place an undue burden on leadership at all levels of the organization. Many of our leaders struggle to make it to the three existing conferences due to the financial burden, adding an additional conference to the mix exacerbates this problem.

3. Justine Lazatin
    UNECOM

I would like to first thank the authors for bringing this idea to SOMA. I stand in support of the creation of Regional SOMA meetings and think this would be a tremendous step forward in terms of making SOMA more appealing to the average member, more inclusive, and encouraging SOMA members to take more active roles in their chapters, etc. Because these conferences would be regional, in theory students would only have to travel a few states away to attend if a central location is chosen, thereby reducing travel cost burden.

Question for the authors: Who do you envision would be charged with organizing these conferences? Convention Director? Region Trustee? Region’s Chapter Leaders? I worry about tasking National SOMA with the creation of an additional 5 SOMA conferences.