- WHEREAS, the United States has the highest maternal mortality rate in developed nations.¹
- WHEREAS, the majority of other countries following the World Health Organization’s
- guidelines have seen a significant decrease in maternal mortality.¹
- WHEREAS, the maternal mortality rate in the US has increased by 26.6% from 2000 to 2014.¹
- WHEREAS, the US has signed a resolution from the United Nations human rights council
- (UNHRC) that preventable maternal mortality and morbidity are human rights challenges.
- WHEREAS, at least 29 states do not have any maternal mortality review or monitoring
- WHEREAS, maternal mortality and morbidity disproportionately affect women of color.
- WHEREAS, according to the CDC, African American women are 3-4 times more likely to die
- from pregnancy related deaths than white women.³
- WHEREAS, Hispanic women had 14.2 deaths per 100,000 live births compared to 11.7 deaths
- per 100,00 live births to non-hispanic white women in the US.4
- RESOLVED, that the AOA support the Maternal CARE Act Bill S. 3363 in congress; and, be it
- RESOLVED, that the AOA support the establishment of maternal mortality review committees
- in every state.
- MacDorman, M. F., Declercq, E., Cabral, H., & Morton, C. (2016, September). Recent Increases in the U.S. Maternal Mortality Rate: Disentangling Trends From Measurement Issues. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27500333
- Building U.S. Capacity to Review and Prevent Maternal Deaths. (2017). Report from maternal mortality review committees: a view into their critical role. Retrieved from https://www.cdcfoundation.org/sites/default/files/upload/pdf/MMRIAReport.pdf
- Reproductive Health. (2018, May 09). Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/reproductivehealth/maternalinfanthealth/pregnancy-relatedmortality.htm
- Creanga AA, Berg CJ, Syverson C, Seed K, Bruce FC, Callaghan WM. Pregnancy-related mortality in the United States, 2006–2010. Obstet Gynecol. 2015;125:5–12. doi: 10.1097/AOG.0000000000000564
Kristen Caine OMS II – Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine
Giselle Irio OMS II – Burrell College of Osteopathic Medicine
Effective Time Period: Ongoing
The forum SOMA Forum is closed to new topics and replies